Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 4-Salem & Surrounding States

Sunday was a bit of a bust. We started by going to Salem, Ma. It really wasn't as witchy as I had hoped. I was set to take the tour at the witch museum (my legs hurt too bad to even consider the walking tour LOL!) but Paul wasn't interested. I asked about it and was told that basically the first part was about the history and the second part was about our perception of witches today. (More or less) It was almost an hour long presentation so we passed. At least I can say I've been there.

We spent a little time in the Salem area getting lunch and shopping at Target for a new shirt since I spilled Taco Bell on my blue shirt.

Then we made our way to Providence Rhode Island.

This cool building is right by a bus station. It was the only time during our whole trip where I felt at risk. Questionable guys were loitering near our car and there was riff-raff everywhere. It was just gross and disappointing. I am not a fan of Providence. At least not the parts we saw.
We then drove to Brown University looking for a gift-shop or something but we struck out. This is the John Brown house.A close-up of the coolness.
And real ivy-league ivy ;)
This is the Rhode Island State House. It was in a much nicer area, right by an upscale mall, but people still looked at me like I was looney when I was taking pictures. Can you tell I wasn't impressed with it there? I'm sure there are great areas, and with a little more research our trip could have been better, but as it is I don't ever care to return.

We then drove through a tiny corner of Connecticut. I used a potty there so it counts as a visited state right? We didn't take any pictures (who'd want to see that? Nevermind. Don't answer.) but we do have video of us driving past the state line.

We headed back to Boston were we checked into a different hotel for one night. It was so cool staying right in the heart of it all. Here is the view from our room.

We put a gold pillow in our window so we could find our room. Do you see it?
I couldn't get over all the tulips they had everywhere. It made me so happy.
We argued a bit about where to eat. I wanted seafood again but the prices in the touristy areas were way high. We wandered about, checking menus and finally settled on an Irish Pub that had live music in a very Irish area of town. I got scallops in a lemon sauce. They were delicious. Paul got a ham sandwich.

Notice the Irish flags. So cool!
Then we headed back to the North End of Boston where we saw this and had to laugh.
There was a dude cruisin' in his Ferrari. He made sure everyone noticed him when he tried to make a u-turn in the tiny street.
Then we went back to Mike's for one last round of yummy goodness.

Then we slowly walked along the water back to our hotel.

It was so peaceful and gorgeous.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Trevor and I went to Salem on the first Sunday of October 1999. Maybe it was because it was October but I felt a creepy feeling the whole time we were in the town. I've never had a more creepy Sunday. I couldn't wait to leave.