Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sewing, Sewing and More Sewing

Emma is 5'5" now. She is shopping in juniors and women exclusively. She still wanted to dress up for Halloween but everything that she was interested in was tiny and hoochy. We saw an idea for an owl costume online that she loved. I thought I can make that no problem. I started with a king sized pillow case. I cut out a hole for her head and arms.  


She needed some side vents so she could walk. 


I zig zagged around the openings since I don't have a serger.


This is the fabric we had selected for the costume. She enjoyed choosing the different colors with me.


I hand cut out the "feathers" while watching general conference.  


Then I started sewing, and sewing, and sewing for weeks with no end in sight. Why was it taking so long? This was suppose to be a one hour project. Oh yes, I had had the bright idea to go all the way around (front and back) to completely cover the whole pillowcase. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I should have gotten something dark colored as the foundation and only sewn on the front. Oh well. Live and learn. After sewing for, well forever, it was finally finished just barely in time for the Halloween party at Disneyland. She got a ton of compliments and comments that night which made me feel like it might have actually been worth it. 



 I stupidly signed up for a Saturday Sampler at my local quilt shop. I don't know what I was thinking, oh yes I remember now, it was Halloween themed. That's how they got me. This was the October assignment. Excuse me? Really? What have I done? I don't hand applique! (Making an applique quilt is actually on my bucket list soooo I guess this is a good thing?)


 Before we even get tot he applique we have to make stars. What? Stars? I don't sew stars.  I sew in straight lines!!! We pressed on our freezer paper pattern, we stacked, we sliced, we switched the colors around and then we sewed stars!   




Oh yes. I did it. I sewed a star!


After this we had to cut out the star and do a bunch of other steps to prep for the applique process. I did it. I actually finished all of them. I literally stitched the last circle onto the background minutes before class but I made it before the deadline. Go me! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your stars look great! So ambitious! And I love the owl costume.

rlg said...

Wow, those looks so cool. You never cease to amaze me. Goodness you've got ambition! Talent, talent and more talent; that is you.