Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Recipe


I saw this recipe on a blog and thought I should try it. I had almost everything I needed on hand. They were also ingredients that I almost always have. All I needed was the cilantro and crescents.

Chicken Tostada Upside Down Bake

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used dry)

2 cloves fresh garlic, minced

4 small or 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper (I only used one breast because we have a small family)

1 can diced tomatoes, fire roasted is great with this recipe (I used plain)

1 can corn, drained (I used frozen)

1 can black beans, drained

1 can black olives, chopped (I left these out because we all hate them)

1 packet ranch dressing seasoning packet (Her notes: optional, but really tasty. My notes: I used it.)

1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cumin (I used teaspoons)

Pinch of kosher salt and pepper

1/2 Cup fresh chopped cilantro

1 can Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, in the sheet form if possible

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley (used regular garlic salt)

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in dutch oven or other large pot over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for an additional 1 minute. Add chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, ranch seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes, until heated through, then stir in cilantro. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish. Place Crescent Roll sheet over top of chicken mixture, brush lightly with olive oil and season with garlic salt. (If you are using the regular crescent rolls, unroll then and press perforations together with fingers then place over chicken). Bake for 20 minutes, until just starting to brown. Top with cheese and bake for an additional 15-18 minutes or until cheese is melted and crescent dough is cooked through. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

2. Serve with shredded lettuce and sour cream if desired (not pictured, but really good!)

I did not use a 9x13. I used and 8x8 dish. Because it was a smaller dish I doubled the crescent layer. I hated to throw away half the crescents. (Next time I will just roll them up and bake them as a side) I think it made it a little soggier than it otherwise would have been but I still liked it. Actually I really loved this, but I was the only one. Paul ate it quietly, that's not such a good thing. Andrew ate it pretty well. Emma picked around and at things here and there.

It went together really easily and quickly. I cooked the chicken earlier and got that out of the way. It baked for a while but that left me time to clean up. Even making the smaller size we still had tons of leftovers. I scraped (okay maybe ate) the top off and froze the guts. We will have this one more time because of all the extra it made.

No comments: