Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Today I am Thankful for Modern Conveniences




This morning we woke to a very chilly house. With the flip of one switch we were all comfortable in a matter of minutes. I am thankful for heaters.

Today I got snow tires put on my car and my oil changed. I love having a car. I can’t imagine having to get groceries for the family without it. Or how would I get the kids to school? How would I get them to the doctor? America is not set up for people without cars. Do you know how far I have to go before I see a bus stop? It’s a long way. Cars are so very helpful and really they are a luxury that I often take for granted. I am thankful to have one. I can’t imagine how hard my life would be without a car. 

Let's add cell phones to the list. For over 20 years I didn’t have a phone and I was fine. Now if I forget it on a quick run to the store and I almost panic. What if I need to call home and ask if they want this or that? I can barely function without it. Do I need to be able to play solitaire on my phone? Do I need to be able to check the weather, emails, or message boards? No I don’t. It is a modern convenience that I love and I am thankful for it. Cell phones have a way of putting my mind to rest. They help me not worry about my family because I can usually get in touch with anyone I need and for that I am thankful.

I am grateful for toilets, water heaters, dishwashers, microwaves (Ours is dying. It’s shocking how much you miss it when it’s not working.) ovens, electricity, refrigerators, washers and dryers. Many people lived without any of these things and survived but I’m not sure how well I would do.

I love all the things that make my life easier and more comfortable. I am thankful for them all, truly thankful .

No comments: