Thursday, July 1, 2010

Our First Trip to the Canyon in 2010

And it was interesting! 

Paul and I knew we weren't in the mood for hotdogs. Tuesday night over dinner we talked about our options. We figured KFC would travel the best. The kids opted for roasting hotdogs in the canyon. When we got to KFC Emma tells us she wants a kids meal. I'm like "no, you said you were eating a hot dog." She pouts and says fine. The teens running KFC were um, how do I say this nicely? Idiots? They tried not to give us our food. They took our $14 handed us our drinks and said "have a good day!" We were like, food please? They looked at us like we were asking for the world. Paul said "dang that's expensive soda!" Then the kid sort of got it. 

Half way up the canyon I realize I don't have buns for the kids' dogs. Emma was almost in tears. "How am I going to eat a hotdog without a buuuun?" We got there and tried to make the best of the situation. Paul and I realize our orders our wrong, we got potato wedges instead of mashed potatoes and no butter for our biscuit. Paul told Emma she could use it as her bun. It was awesome! She was not amused.  


Once the kids started eating we found out that I also forgot plates and utensils. Note to self; Make a master packing list for canyon trips. (Thanks honey for the suggestion.) Luckily we had sporks from KFC. Andrew was a trooper. He ate his hotdog with no bun without a complaint. 

A few bites in and Emma realized that her dog was still cold in the middle. Doesn't she look happy? 


She ended up eating half of my dinner along with her sad hotdog. I tried to perk her up with lots and lots of pictures. 


Emma drank away her sorrows while Andrew explored, played and kept his positive attitude. 


Then it was time for s'mores. That I didn't mess up. I had everything I needed for my Reese's s'mores. Mmmm.  

(I need to burn this shirt. I promise I'm not pregnant.)


Hey honey, you've got a little something on your face. 


I wanted a new more seasonally appropriate header for my blog so we tried to get a shot of all of us. I don't think I'm going to use it though.

After some chocolate Emma was in a much better mood.



While the kids ran around and played while we tried to smoke everyone out of the canyon. Our wood was a little green.




Enough was enough. Our eyes were burning. We put out the fire, pack up and started to leave. It was so beautiful in the canyon and it was in the 60's up there! I wasn't ready to go but there was no reason to stay since we didn't have a fire. As we came to the fork in the road Paul said "Do you want to go all the way around?" My answer? "YES!" We drove the Alpine Loop and went through Timpanooke Campground on the way. We are even considering another overnight camping trip. We saw deer, chipmunk, flooding and a bunch of wildflowers. It was so beautiful. 



I love spending time in the canyon. 

1 comment:

rlg said...

I'm glad you treasure you time with your family because it all passes so quickly.