Friday, June 8, 2012

The Garden is In ~ May 19th

After the boys got home from their camp-out we got the soil and compost that we needed for our garden. Since we got a bit of a late start I bought plants for some of the things I normally start from seeds, like zucchini, yellow squash and peas. New to the garden this year is cantaloupe, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, eggplant and okra. I'm curious to see how we do. So far so good. Everything is growing and looking happy!


As part of Emma's personal progress she is helping with the garden so she can pass off her Faith value experience. She planted most of the seeds and has been doing a lot of the watering.

We planted three types of beans this year.


I wanted a lot of peas so even though we had four plants Emma and I planted three more rows of peas.



By May 31st most of the peas had come up. They were looking better than the plants I had bought.


One little bean popped up but you could tell more were on their way.


June 7th 

Look at the beans now. Something is eating the leaves. It happens each year and it doesn't seem to harm the "crop" so I leave it alone. I'm so excited for my first harvest!

1 comment:

rlg said...

Nice looking garden. I'm just not into farming. Glad you enjoy doing it and that Emma is getting to help. I do love it though when you get to eat the results. Bruce is the little red hen at our house, doing it all himself. Good luck with your crops.