Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chicken Parmesan Soup


On the 25th I tried my new recipe for the month of February with three days to spare. I found the recipe on this blog. Your Homebased Mom

I pick recipes based on their ease and ingredients. This one looked easy and the ingredients were things I usually have. I had to go out for fresh basil and yummy bread but otherwise I had what I needed.

I will start with the soup. Here is the recipe.

Chicken Parmesan Soup


4 Tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, pounded thin and cut into bite size pieces (I only used one)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 qt. chicken broth
salt and pepper
1 C fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 large onion, thinly sliced (I left mine really big so we could pick it out easier)


This is what the recipe said to do. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in 2 Tbsp. olive oil.  Cook until just cooked through.  Remove from pan and set aside. Add remaining olive oil and saute chopped garlic, onions and red pepper flakes.  Cook until onions are beginning to soften.  Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to  a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.  Put the chicken back in and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the chopped basil and stir.


This is what I did. I like my chicken to be cooked with all the flavors of onion, garlic and seasonings so I put them all in at once. I cooked it all together until cooked through and beginning to brown.


In a soup pan I had the chicken broth and tomatoes warming up. Once the chicken was done I added it to the soup pan.


After everything was heated through I added the fresh basil. It smelled sooo heavenly. 


One other thing I forgot to mention. I added a can of rinsed Great Northern beans just because I thought it sounded good. I was right, they were good in it. I topped the soup with freshly grated parmesan cheese. I will never buy shredded parmesan cheese again. The fresh was so much tastier. 


Now for the best part. The bread. Oh how I love my bread. I headed to Kneaders (A Utah bakery/restaurant) to pick up a baguette. It is the best bargain in town and so delicious I could eat one daily. It pretty bad. I go way too often. It's gotten to where they recognize me. Look at that bread. It's a thing of beauty.


I sliced the bread and brushed it with garlic infused browned butter and broiled it for a minute. Then I turned it over, brushed the other side and topped that side with shredded cheese. I toasted it again and voila, the perfect bread was made.  


According to the recipe you are suppose to serve the soup over a slice of bread and then float one on top. I tired that but didn't like it. It was toooo soggy for me. I started just dipping and that was wonderful. 

Andrew didn't like the soup but he isn't a soup kind of kid and he doesn't really like cooked tomatoes. Emma loves soups and ate this one but said it wasn't her favorite. I liked it a lot but honestly think I liked it so much because of the bread. Paul liked it too but he doesn't believe soup is a complete meal so he was left wanting more for dinner. 

I will make this again but only after I've been to Kneaders for fresh bread! 

No comments: