Sunday, March 27, 2011

I've been on a reading kick lately

In the last couple of weeks I have managed to read three books. 


I found out about this book on a book review blog that I follow. The author of that blog loved this book.  She made me really excited to read it. It's a love story about vampire, witches and there are some daemons thrown in the to add to the problems. I like a good creature love story so I immediately ordered the book from Amazon.

I loved the love story part of this book but hated the ending and felt like it was a bit too wordy and technical at times. (The main character is a doctor of alchemy, something I know very little about, so a lot of stuff went right over my head.) This book is almost 600 pages long and really there was no conclusion to the major problem at all. Literally, it was almost all ground work. 

I have heard that there will be three books in this series but, I am used to having a conclusion at the end of a book. My friend said it best, you should have one story line that arcs across the whole series, yet you have another storyline that reaches a conclusion in each book. I couldn't agree more. If I had found this book once the series was compete I think I could forgive all the little things that bugged me. At this point I'm just irked that I have to wait who knows how long to see what happens. 

Once this series is complete (If things actually get resolved at the end.) I will probably recommend it to everyone I know. There were only maybe two swear words and the love scenes weren't too...detailed. So, in short, if you like love stories with sexy vampires and don't mind being left hanging this is a fun book that you should check out. 



A week ago Andrew asked if we could go to the library. We obliged on our way out of town. I wanted to read something that would push the Discovery of Witches out of my head. (I was really bugged that I didn't know the ending. I couldn't let it go.) I was wandering around in the fiction section and saw these books by Sue Grafton. I knew a little about the series since we had listened to one of the books on a road trip to Utah once a long, long, time ago. I didn't remember hating it so I thought I would give them a try. 

I got right into A is for Alibi. Andrew stayed home sick on Tuesday and I read almost the whole book that day. I was so glad that I had picked up B is for Burglar too. These books throw some pretty serious curse words around. It's not enough to offend me, but it may be enough that it could offend others. They are super fast, easy reads. I am really really really enjoying them. A lot. Her endings are rather abrupt but she ties everything up so I have no complaints.

I've already started C is for Corpse but I'm reading it on my Iphone so I don't know how quickly I will be able to finish it. It's such a small screen that I can only read for a bit here and there. 

Paul started reading A and he is loving her writing style too. He maybe read it more that he should have during church today. Shhh, don't tell. I can't wait for him finish it and to start B so we can talk all about it. It's rare that we read the same books so this will be a lot of fun for me. 

No comments: