Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yesterday Something Amazing Happened

I had decided that I was going to go and buy running shoes. (No that's not it) Paul had gotten me a gift card for Christmas so that I could go and pick some shoes out. I was dressed and ready to go around 10:00 a.m. This is so not normal for me. Usually I do a load of laundry after Andrew leaves, hang out in my robe and don't shower until around that time. (or later truth be told) But amazingly yesterday morning was different. Right before I left I was eating a bowl of granola that I could hardly choke down. I had had enough. I went to the sink to dump it. I got a glass of water to wash it down with and notice a large brown thing in my neighbor's tree. Everything is brown and dead and ugly right now. It's really hard to distinguish one brown thing from another. 

What the heck is that? I wondered. It looked almost like a giant wasp nest but surely I would have noticed that before. Then I see movement. Oh my gosh it's a bird! A really really large bird. All of a sudden I see a little bit of white. NO! It can't be. Right there in my kitchen I have a moment. I can't believe what I am seeing. I run to the piano and grab my camera off of it and head to the back porch. 
I zoom in and sure enough I am looking at a 

BALD EAGLE

 and it is practically in my back yard. 

I'm not close enough to get a good picture of it. Luckily I am dressed (Seriously a miracle but honestly it wouldn't have stopped me. I would have been out there in my bright red robe, holes and all, if that's what it took) so I walk across the lawn and try to get closer. It still isn't good enough. I tear across my yard toward the front yard. I run to my neighbor door and knock because I want to share this excitement with someone so badly, but no one answers. I can't wait any longer. I head up the hill trying to be quiet but it isn't easy. There is so much gravel I feel like a bull in a china shop. I can tell it hears me. I get as close as I can. I get a few pictures and obviously it had had enough and off it flew. I stood there taking pictures, my heart racing and my mouth gaping open.

It was amazing!

This is a bird that I wasn't sure would even still be around when I was an adult. I heard so much about it being endangered as a kid. This is our national bird. A symbol of freedom. A truly magnificent creature. The wing span was huge. I've never seen anything like it. I feel so lucky to have seen it. I keep looking out the window hoping it comes back. I can't tell you how thrilling this was for me. 

These first two pictures are taken from my back yard. 



I've had to crop them to get closer and they aren't in perfect focus because I had my zoom out so far and I didn't have anything to help steady my camera. There wasn't time. Even with their imperfections I am thrilled to have them. 












I still, a day later, keep saying to myself. I saw a bald eagle, in the wild and that's my backyard! Wow. There aren't words. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awsomely amazing pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Im a blog lurker from the veggie site but this is sooo awesome that I had to post... We have a church song that says "He will raise you up on eagle's wings"... brings peace to my heart.. thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to see that! Thanks for sharing your AMAZING pics!

koterboters said...

awesome! I have never seen a bald eagle before but my dad has when he lived in Illinois in the winter time.

Scrappertastic

Debbie said...

Mignonne, I know exactly how you felt today. Paul and I saw a bald eagle in July 2007 when we were kayaking in Maine. For some reason he just stayed up in this tree and we were almost underneath him in our kayaks. We were able to get some great pictures. I just couldn't get enough of him.

The flying pictures were wonderful. I have never gotten a picture of one flying.

Seeing the bald eagle today must have perked up your January blahs, right?

Raindancer said...

So cool! We had a nesting pair near where I grew up, so I kind of took them for granted you know? Kids! That is so awesome though, and you got some great pics!

Twisted Chicken said...

Those photos are incredible! I'm surprised as how regal and stately the eagle looks out in the wild. I guess I just imagined they would look more dirty and mussed-up living in the wild. That eagle looks pristine and perfect. What an exciting event for you! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Kendall said...

WOW WOW WOW!! That is so AWESOME! I am so jealous because I can just imagine how cool it was to see one in person :-) Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures!

Wingnut said...

Isn't it an amazing feeling? Last year, we had 3 land in our field next to our house. I could NOT believe what I was seeing through my binoculars. And then, just a few weeks ago, I saw one as I drove to work. I'm used to seeing these gorgeous hawks that are native to our area, but not bald eagles though I know that have nests over in the Susquehanna River which is about 10+ miles from my house.

Nice captures!

rlg said...

What a beautiful bird, fantastic pictures! But, you really should be a writer. I love the way you tell your stories. Really entertaining funny and cute.