Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cheddar Chicken

Was it my intention to try a third new recipe this month? No. Was it a necessity? Yes.

Because I wasn't feeling well last weekend we didn't do our normal weekend grocery shopping on Saturday. We hadn't really planned what we were going to do for food on Sunday then all of a sudden this recipe popped up in my reader. It seemed so easy and I had everything I needed. Woot!

(Can you even tell that that's chicken in there? Good grief that's a bad picture.)

16 Ritz crackers (about 3/4 cup) crushed
6 oz of sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 Tbsp melted butter
 
* Heat oven to 350. In a bowl combine the crackers, cheese garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
* Dip chicken in butter then cracker mixture then place on a foil lined baking sheet.
* Sprinkle remaining mixture onto chicken then bake until chicken is golden brown. (25-30 min)

I had some instant mashed potatoes and made up some biscuits. Poof, dinner was served. Not too shabby considering I just wanted to stay in bed. Here's the problem that we ran into. I only have one oven. The chicken cooked at 350, the biscuits baked at 425 I think. I opted to cook the chicken first since it cooked so much longer. Big mistake. I covered it with foil while the biscuits were in the over for only 8-10 minutes. In that short amount of time all the steam made my crispy chicken SOGGY. I loved the flavor but the texture was all wrong. Paul didn't mind but he eats stuffing so you can't trust him. The kids were horrified. They wouldn't even touch it. Their loss.

I will make this again. They will scream and run and probably hide but it was too easy, too fast and too good to not try again. We won't eat it with biscuits though. We will need some other carb-y side dish that cooks at 350.

3 comments:

Ann @ I blog, therefore I am. said...

I'm going to give this one a try. I am desperate for new recipes.

linda said...

I am going to give this recipe a try. Tobi will usually eat anything that has lots of cheese on it.

linda said...

I am going to give this recipe a try. Tobi will usually eat anything that has lots of cheese on it.