I think I've bitched about January each and every year that I've blogged so this shouldn't come as any surprise to any of you. I hate January. Hate. I have been in a total funk. This picture was taken last Sunday. As you can see visibility was very limited. I hate that! Hate!!
I truly believe I suffer from SAD. (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
What are the symptoms of SAD?
Common symptoms of winter-onset SAD include the following:
- A change in appetite, especially a craving for sweet or starchy foods (I read this WHILE I was eating two pieces of toast with a lot of jam. I had the toast after I finished a donut. I'm not kidding.)
- Weight gain (Yep)
- A drop in energy level (Oh yes)
- Fatigue (You better believe it)
- A tendency to oversleep (Would this include two hour naps each afternoon?)
- Difficulty concentrating (I've been reading the same quilt pattern for weeks. Finally I took it to someone else at church and said "read this!")
- Irritability and anxiety (Ask my kids about this)
- Increased sensitivity to social rejection (N/A)
- Avoidance of social situations and a loss of interest in the activities you used to enjoy (Notice I haven't been blogging. I don't feel like doing anything. I don't even want to answer the phone right now.)
I think I need help!
This past week hasn't been bad weather wise but we've been sick. I've felt like total poo. Doesn't it seem like I was just sick? Actually it was before Thanksgiving but I swear it feels like just yesterday. Anyway Paul had something too. We've been walking around sneezing and sniffling all week.
For me it started over a week ago. Thursday I had a pesky cough. Friday I turned down lunch out with friends. Not just any lunch but Sushi.
I just didn't feel good. Each day a new symptom would pop up. The next day I'd have a sore throat, then the next I would have itchy lungs. I was also sporting a gorgeous cold sore too. It was so wonderful. Not. The minute I started feel a little better I started my period. I know, too much information but it was like a one two punch. I don't have normal periods. They render me practically useless for at least 48 hours. I stayed in bed doing only what I had to do all day Thursday and Friday. Today I feel almost normal. It's sooo nice! And the sun is out. Sort of.
I can't wait for January to be over.