Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Evolution of my Hair

Yes I really was this bored tonight. The kids are all done with home work, Paul  is gone and yes my kitchen is a DISASTER but I couldn't bring myself to go up and clean. I killed time and amused myself by seeing how my hair has changed over the years. 


I tend to be very impatient with my hair. When it's long I want to cut it because it's too thick and heavy to blow-dry. (seriously, it takes forever to dry my hair) Or it's too flat and weird wavy if I don't blow dry it. Even when I do blow-dry and straighten my hair it deflates in no time and the curl in the front comes back making it look weird.

Whatever the problem may be from one day to the next my solution is almost always a pony-tail. It's not a great look but it's just so quick and easy.

When I do cut it, I almost always immediately regret it and plan to grow it back. Since it's naturally so dark I don't dare mess with the color either. I do have a raspberry creme non-permanent color sitting in my bathroom taunting me but I'm scared to have burgundy hair, even if it is just temporary.

Cutting it is my only option when I want a change. I got a bug up my butt this week and got a haircut. It was really spur of the moment and to be honest, some parts of me regret it. The other parts of me sort of like that it's different for once. I don't think I have ever had my hair this layered before. I think as it fills in a bit I will like it even more. Paul says he doesn't think it's that different and maybe it doesn't look like it is but from a styling standpoint it is very different. I am still not sure how I prefer it.

Here is the before. When I see this I regret the cut but the reality is this straight hair took 30-45 minutes to do. It hardly ever looked like this on a day to day basis.

After: This is just blown dry using the "wave" I have naturally. It felt a little too messy, like a Glam Rocker from the 80's. But it was super easy! (I'm thinking of going back in a couple of weeks and having the last inch or two chopped off to get rid of some of the wispy ends. I think it would make it look a little fuller/better.)


So I went back in a straightened it. It felt really thin when I did this. If the top was higher I would have looked just like Joan Jett. I think I must have all the hair from my back over my shoulder in this shot because I know it didn't look this full in real life. 


I went at it with the curling iron (had to dust that baby off) before parent/teacher conference. It gave it a little more something. Bounce? Body? Definition to the layers? I don't know but I did use the curling iron again today. 


All I know it is is going to take a long time to get my hair back to the "before" (If that's what I want to do) so I better learn how to style it and love it. The great thing is it doesn't take nearly as long to dry! 

2 comments:

Wingnut said...

I am so glad I'm not the only one who goes through this with my hair! I have a good deal of natural "wave" vs. curl. I'm in the middle of growing it out yet again. Working with the horses, I don't have time to fuss with my hair and so being able to pull it back into a bun, braid, ponytail, or whatever is the easy way to go. But I'm almost 44 now and have to wonder if I'm too old for hair below my shoulders?

P.S. I like your new cut :)

Debbie said...

I think every woman can identify with you and your hair woes. We all want to have a beautiful look but we don't want to spend the time. It's hard to find the happy medium. I resent having to spend more than a few minutes on it in the morning.

I think your new cut with the curling iron looks cute.