Sunday, January 24, 2010

Look what you can do with leftovers

My red, white and green Christmas quilt was made with a Glace layer cake. I had so much of the cake left I knew I had to do something with it. In the back of my brain I remembered a Stacked Coins Quilt that Amanda Jean had done for Moda Bake Shop. (Click Here) I checked it out and knew that's what I wanted to do. I wanted it a little bigger though so I added an extra row and extended them all.
I had also bought two yards of one of the greens to add an extra border to make it even bigger but decided I didn't like it on there. Here is a better look at some of the fabrics.
The binding will be out of this brown.
I got back my four quilts from the quilter. The good news, the price wasn't as high as I had estimated. The bad news, there were some weird things that happened. (On one it looks like she unpicked almost the whole thing and started over leaving behind and quilting over all the little thread scraps. I am going to have to spend tons of time picking them out. The ones I have tried to get out were a little tricky. I can't even tell what happened for her to have to start over but there are tons of little holes in a quilt pattern all over my quilt. Weird.)

I think they will all be okay in the end but I am hesitant to get more done at that location. There is a lady in Orem that I think I am going to take this one to. She is an artist and I have been wanting to try her but her prices are higher. At this point I don't care. I spend too much time on the tops to let someone jack them up.

4 comments:

Kerry McKibbins said...

Love this!

rlg said...

So much talent. Your quilt is beautiful!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

VERY CUTE QUILT! What a great way to use the leftovers! I'm with you -- after all the heart and time you put in a quilt -- it's worth it to have some nice quilting! Hope this new one works out!

MamaBug said...

Very pretty!!