Tuesday, January 26, 2010

30 Minute Almond Chicken from Kraft

Tonight we tried a new recipe. It appealed to me because it was fast, it's a one dish meal and I had a lot of the basic ingredients.

I got everything ready so I could get it started right when Paul was on his way home. Everything went together smoothly. The main change I made was the Italian Dressing. I didn't use bottled I used some that we had made with the packet and flavored rice wine vinegar instead of regular white vinegar. It is so much tastier than bottled dressing.

Here is the end result. I served it with some parmesan breadsticks that I had made and fresh pineapple. We all enjoyed it, except Emma. She has decided that she doesn't like chicken, rice or beans. Also she didn't like the idea of nuts with the chicken. Whatever!

It was very mild, almost blah for me, but not bad enough it that I didn't eat it. We all had the same complaint. The beans weren't done enough. They either need to be steamed prior or sautéed or something. We all felt like we had a basketball game going on in our mouth. Squeaky beans are not good. I would love to make this with a rice other than minute rice for health reasons. It would be worth working on in the future.

Here is the recipe.

Ingredients


 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used breasts and cut them into pretty small pieces)
1/4 cup  KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing (Like I said above, I used my own dressing)
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups  fresh green beans, trimmed, halved
1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
1/4 cup Sliced Almonds (I thought for sure I had some but apparently I was out so I used slivered and they were great)

Directions

COOK chicken in dressing in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat 4 min. on each side or until evenly browned.
ADD broth; bring to boil. Cover; simmer 5 min. Add beans; cook 5 min. or until chicken is done (165ºF). Remove chicken; cover to keep warm.
STIR rice and nuts into beans. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 5 min.; fluff rice. Serve with chicken.    

No comments: